Friday, May 20, 2011

Comida a la Limeña

The best part of being Peruvian is the food! 

Before living in Peru in my 20s, I didn't know how wonderful food could be.  While I was in Lima, I lived with my aunt and  two sweet-as-can-be cousins.  They taught me, above everything else I am most grateful for, that food is an experience.  My younger cousin loved lomo saltado - a meat and potato kind of stir fry.  It is now my absolute favorite Peruvian dish and my signature dish when going to a Peruvian restaurant!

Living with my aunt and cousins was at times eye-opening, but most of all, a growing experience.  In their home, I learned what it was to be a self-sufficient woman.  I learned that some things were more important than others.  As a woman, you must persevere and break through barriers that others put in front of you.  There may be walls that will halt your pace, but all you need is a strong voice and character to break it down.  They showed me strength, humility, and love without barriers.

But, most importantly, I learned that you are born into the family you've got - there's no changing it.  But what you do with that family and how you portray yourself to them (and everyone else, for that matter) is most important.  Stand firm in what you believe and do what you must to be successful.

*********************************************************************************

Lomo Saltado
(translated from "Recetario Nicolini")

Ingredients:
(for 6 servings)
  • 1 lb. of beef (tenderloin is best)
  • salt, pepper, and cumin
  • 1 tsp. of paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. of oregano
  • 2 onions cut in thin strips
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 ají (Peruvian chili pepper or pimiento) cut in very thin slices
  • 2 tbsp. of vinegar
  • 2 tomatoes cut in wedges
  • 1 tbsp. of  parsley
  • 1 lb. of potatoes (or if you don't want to fry - *a lot* of french fries)
  • Vegetable oil (a necessary amount)
Preparation:

Heat up 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil and fry in it the beef (tenderloin) in strips (about 2 1/2 cm., approx.).  Season with salt, pepper, and cumin and incorporate the paprika and the oregano.  Remove meat.  Add the onions, garlic, chili pepper (pimiento), and the vinegar.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add the tomatoes y stir well.  Put the meat back and sprinkle with parsley.  Fry the potatoes in a lot of vegetable oil (or buy them, right?).  Serve with the french fries and accompanied by white rice or rice/corn mixture.

********************************************************************************

Nostalgic and hungry now :)

~Nay~

A little music to accompany the dish -
http://youtu.be/-B9yI93sBBk
(sorry, I don't know how to put the video up!)

2 comments:

cynthia said...

Yum yum yummers Store bought French fries really it just isn't the same! Well I have never had Lomo saltado without fresh fried potatoes LOL you just made me hungry!

Nay said...

How about fresh fried potatoes that you buy just for this meal? That's what I've seen...:)