Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Endless Surprises

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
(Charlie Brown)


So wise, Mr. Brown, so wise. 

I'm always looking for the answers before I'm ready for them.  When I was in my 20s, I wanted to know exactly what was going to happen so I could always be prepared.  I didn't want surprises. 

I grew up on surprises. 
"We're moving to Peru/Costa Rica/Boston/California!" "You're going to a new school next year."  "Become a professional or you're on your own."  But those surprises, or revelations, prepared me for my future.  I knew that life was about making sure that you didn't get too comfortable.  Always be ready for a new revelation...and prepare your feelings for that moment.

As I moved out of my 20s and into my 30s, I felt and now truly feel free of those "surprises"! This is a huge change in me!  I am not always on edge of what "could" happen, but now I just let it.  Let those shocking or wonderful experiences happen because they do for a reason.

I truly believe (now) that every single experience happened so that I could get to where I am today.  If I hadn't moved so much, I wouldn't have ended up living in California (again) when I was fifteen.  I wouldn't have met that boy in my English class that, more than a decade later, I married.  I would not have experienced love that I never thought I would receive (every day) in different ways.  There are so many things that I have now that I wouldn't have without those surprises.

Those surprises and (many "interesting") experiences have molded me into who I am.

Don't they do that for all of us, though?  The element of surprise and experience that we have each day...That feeling of fulfillment when you complete a task...start something new...meet someone new...learn something you never thought you could...trust someone completely...

The list is endless...

So, yes, let's not look at the back of that book too often, since the answers aren't there anyway :) Remember, surprises aren't always *awesome* but they effect the course of our lives in the most amazing and, more often than not, revealing ways.

Happily,
Nay

5 comments:

Blessed Rain said...

I as well hate surprises, however, life has been full of them and they have truly enriched my life bring about things I would never have done on my own. I agree surprise is the spice of life!

M.S. said...

I agree. The sum of those surprises equates to where we are now, and what a journey it has been... I say, "give me 70 more years of surprises."

Nay said...

Hi both of you -
Can I tell you how wonderful it is to see comments - my favorite type of surprise!
~Nay~

Smart Ass Sara said...

Hello neighbor! I'll try to close the blinds if I'm walking around nude because I'm sure you don't want to go blind by my extreme whiteness and flab.

In the same vein, I always get annoyed when people say they are with the love of their life. Really? How do you know? How do you know you won't meet someone even more amazing next year? You can't really know that until you're dying I think.

Nay said...

Oh Sara, Sara, Sara...how can you get annoyed with someone filled with so much love?! You know you love it:] And I have a feeling you have something as special...right? right? :p

Welcome to my world of love and annoying behaviors, Miss Neighbor...Don't worry about the flab - I've got some you'll get to enjoy looking at too. It's just the Latin kind.

Cheers!