Tuesday, May 10, 2011

More Kindness to Share

Poetry is good for the soul...
"Kindness"
(excerpt of the poem by Naomi Shihab Nye)

...Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside,
you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.
You must wake up with sorrow.
You must speak to it till your voice
catches the thread of all sorrows
and you see the size of the cloth.

Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
only kindness that ties your shoes
and sends you out into the day to mail letters and
purchase bread,
only kindness that raises its head
from the crowd of the world to say
It is I you have been looking for,
and then goes with you everywhere
like a shadow or a friend.

I read this poem last night after hearing about the passing of a friend's son.  It touched my heart to read these words after hearing the shocking and sad news. 

I can't help but think of the last three lines of the poem as exactly what I was thinking after I heard the news...
she will never walk alone now...
Jonathan's right there next to her, each step of the way...

Always Grateful,
Nay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy wipes *tears* -deep breath- would you even believe today I received a gift bag from a dear friend. In this bag among other "comforts" was a small book on Kindness, as well as silver token to keep with me at all times with 3 words engraved on it--You're Never Alone--

Nay said...

Oh Wendy! That is truly Jonathan working his ways to be closer to you. Thank you for sharing your story with me. You and your family are in our prayers!