Monday, May 23, 2011

Night-time Ramblings

"Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first."  Maybe...

I have a sweet tooth.  Well come to think of it, I have a mouthful of sweet teeth.  I can devour a whole cheesecake without giving it a second thought.  Ice cream cake gives me a thrill.  Caramel dripping off the sides of my sundae - so divine!

But dessert and sweets are so unforgiving - they give you the best feeling ever and then let you down, way down.  Just as you think life couldn't get any better, the last bite comes and it's over :( Just like that and you have to stop or that scale will reveal the awful numbers you dread.

So, yes, I love my sweets...but I also have to stop to think about what it is doing to me.

I am no longer at the point in my life where I can eat anything I want, whenever I want.  I have to watch the calories and make sure I am healthy.  But I really don't do much to make that happen.

I'm a "two-weeker" - as my husband so lovingly calls me.  I start a healthy lifestyle: eating my veggies, fruits, staying away from my favorite carbs, watching every single bite that comes into contact with my mouth...and then the two-week marker begins.  "Oh, one bite of chocolate won't hurt.  I am entitled!"  And then the downward spiral begins....down, down, down until I gain all the weight back again.

It makes me sad, really sad.  Knowing that I can't indulge makes me angry.  I often say that I don't want to die knowing that I deprived myself.  But then I think, if I don't stop indulging, will it really be that big of a sacrifice? Will I "just die" without that morsel of chocolate chip cookie just out of the oven?

Nope, not really.  I'll survive because although dessert makes me happy, it is a small thrill.  Compared to everything else in my life and what I risk losing if I keep "indulging" - well, I guess, I *can't* have my cake and eat it too.

Still sad, though...

...and (stomping my foot on the ground) I still want dessert!

~ Nay ~

PS: Anyone have pointers for after the two weeks? :)

6 comments:

Blessed Rain said...

My sis and I always stick to all things in moderation. Also adding in sweets like Figs and dried sweet fruits help go a long way. I also have a Chocolate coconut tea that I drink when I am desperate for some chocolate!

Kiki said...

nope. no tips. ;) actually, you know how i love coca cola. i have recently limited myself to "coke tuesdays" and then i look forward to my happy tuesdays all week. the rest of the week, i am proud of myself for not indulging. i think it makes it taste even better and i feel like i'm being so good *most* of the week. :)

Nay said...

Yay! I think it works now...I couldn't comment before!!!

Thank you ladies for the good tips - I'll try it:)

Blessed Rain said...

;) looks like blogger is just glitching again - glad you were able to post!

Anonymous said...

Designate one day of the week as your indulge day (I suggest Sundays). One day a week doesn't hurt. That way you won't feel deprived. Just don't overindulge on that day. Also make sure you get some sort of exercise. It doesn't have to be a heavy, sweaty workout routine. Walking, biking, or playing with your hubby and kids will work.

Nay said...

Hi "Anonymous" - like this a lot! Thanks:)