Thursday, May 19, 2011

Peruvian Salvi-Irish..yeah, that's me

mul·ti·cul·tur·al:  of, relating to, reflecting, or adapted to diverse cultures (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multicultural)
I looked that up this morning because my hubby calls me that all the time.  He says it's what he likes most about me :)  Now that I have looked up the definition, it makes me pretty proud to be called that.  I *especially* like the "diverse" part of it.
Thanks to my "Papa" :D

I embrace diversity in pretty much everything.  I love that people are different because of where they come from...or where their parents are from.  I think that because we are all so different, we all make everything so *flavorful*.  As a whole, we make up all the flavors of the world.  How boring would it be if we were all the same, right? 

My hubby and I contributed to this diversity when we got married.  I am peruvian-salvadoran-irish and my hubby is filipino-spanish-italian.  So when you add us both together, we make some pretty diverse and gorgeous kids (I know, I'm just a tad biased)!  But "mixed" kids are beautiful and that's not my biased self talking...

(Side Note:  To be absolutely fair, all kids are beautiful...really, really gorgeous, too. 
No one is left out when it comes to children...)

I do have one wish, though:  I want my children to think of themselves as a part of a community of a real society.  I want them to understand that it doesn't matter where you are from, what you look like, who you love...all that matters is that you are true and honest.  I want them to form opinions about people because of what they experience - not because of what others think or the prejudices others have on each other.
1/4 this because of my Mom's Dad...

This generation is pretty lucky, though.  Thank goodness it's not as bad as it used to be, right?  Interracial marriages or partnerships were so taboo way back when.  Although, and this is unfortunate, I still feel stares when I'm eating at a restaurant or walking in the mall as a family (very rarely, but it happens).  But, oh well, not all of us are open-minded and accept change.

So that's all...no more getting on my soap box and getting all political. 
 
My whole point to this post was to say "multicultural" is a great word.  It doesn't even have to mean that you are made up of different cultures - the definition just says that you "relate to" or "adapt"..."reflect".  I like that, "reflect"...~ I embrace difference and willingly reflect it. ~  Makes sense, right?

1/4 this from Mom, too :]



Wait....

Since this is my hubby who is calling me "multicultural" and, with all the love he has for me (being sarcastic here...)

He may just mean that I am "multicultural" because he can take me to any type of restaurant and I'll eat. 

Let's face it - anybody can be multi-cultural when  it comes down to food.

Ha!  Well, now you know where I stand about certain things, right?
~ Nay ~



3 comments:

Blessed Rain said...

I come from a family that is so diverse you don't even see it any more. I am a european mix of everything with some American Indian thrown in. Those that braved new worlds were always the first to mix it up.
My hubby is much closer to being a real anything being 1/4 Cuban. Our kids well they are so mixed they look perfectly "normal". :)

Nay said...

Awesome:) Cuban food's yummy! lol

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I was heading over to your first post and this post caught my eye. :o) My hubby is Portuguese/Spanish/Irish/French...I am Filipino/Spanish/Chinese...so our kids are a blend :o) My brother and sister have the Filipino/Spanish/Chinese and German/French combo...

We call them Pochopino or Filiguese :o) If you have time, I'd love to share what I wrote about that here:
http://personalizedsketchesandsentiments.blogspot.com/2011/01/paniolos-parker-ranch-princesses.html

Blessings & Aloha!