Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Sing You Home" by Jodi Picoult

About this Book (taken from Google Books)
Every life has a soundtrack. All you have to do is listen. Music has set the tone for most of Zoe Baxter’s life. There’s the melody that reminds her of the summer she spent rubbing baby oil on her stomach in pursuit of the perfect tan. A dance beat that makes her think of using a fake ID to slip into a nightclub. A dirge that marked the years she spent trying to get pregnant.
 
For better or for worse, music is the language of memory. It is also the language of love.
In the aftermath of a series of personal tragedies, Zoe throws herself into her career as a music therapist. When an unexpected friendship slowly blossoms into love, she makes plans for a new life, but to her shock and inevitable rage, some people—even those she loves and trusts most—don’t want that to happen.
Sing You Home is about identity, love, marriage, and parenthood. It’s about people wanting to do the right thing for the greater good, even as they work to fulfill their own personal desires and dreams. And it’s about what happens when the outside world brutally calls into question the very thing closest to our hearts: family.

******************************
So I must tell you that I am entirely biased when it comes to Jodi Picoult.  I *love* her books.  She inspires me to write and have a book one day.  So with that said, as I turned the last page of "Sing You Home" I was sort of , how do I say it, disappointed. 
Jodi's books always have this awesome, "oh my gosh, are you kidding me?!" twist at the end.  Maybe I've read too much of her and understand her writing style and what she's going to do next, but I wanted more from this book.
I loved that she broached the subject of all types of love and family.  I was proud to see a book with all aspects of love (relationships of all types).  I always enjoy the courtroom scenes in her books, but would've have loved to see a different outcome, I guess. More drawn out on what would happen to the embryos, etc.
But I still give it 4 BIG FAT STARS because I really enjoyed reading "Sing You Home" and learning more from Jodi Picoult - the fascinating subjects she writes about that not everyone will.

So, yes it is worth buying...or you can borrow it from me:)

4 comments:

Heather J. said...

I hopped over from your post on TLC's Facebook page. You did a great job with this review! I hope you'll continue reading and reviewing - it is quite a lot of fun in my opinion. :)

Nay said...

Hi Heather! Thanks for being my first "commenter"! I am happy you liked the review - hopefully, more to come!

Melanie said...

I have this book to read, got it for my birthday.

I always have mixed feelings about her endings so I am just going to go in this book wiht an open mind. Thanks for the thoughtful review.

Nay said...

Hi Melanie:) Thank you for the comment. I look forward to hearing what you think about the book!