Friday, May 13, 2011

Turning One Thought into Another

Originally Posted on 05/11/2011
If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet,
then you must write it. 
~Toni Morrison~

How true is that?!  How many years has it been that I keep telling myself (and others for that matter) that I'm going to write the great American novel one day.  I'll write a book that my friends would want to read.  That after they finish reading it, they'll say, "It's over already!?"
My novel is my dream.  I want that dream to happen very badly.  But when I sit down to write about something, anything...I become the ultimate inner critic.  There's that voice inside of me saying, "No, you can't say that!" or "Really?  You want to write about that?"  It infuriates me to no end!
I have this great idea and then I see a movie about it.  You know that movie, Serendipity?  Yeah, my idea.  And that song by Justin Timberlake...what's it called? Something like "what goes around comes around"...yup, mine too. 
I don't even have to start with a novel, really.  I would love to just enter into a writing contest...like the one the magazine, Real Simple, is starting.  But I say I'm going to do it and then I sit to write and that annoying little voice comes back.
There should be spray or something that could make those thoughts instantly disappear.  Wouldn' t that be great?  "You can't think you are any good, can you?"  Spray...and *poof* it's gone.
Wow, can you imagine how much we could all accomplish?  All those dreams in the back burner that would happen for us?
But, you know what?  I do give myself some credit, though.  I always said I wanted to write a blog.  And, um....hello?!  Here it is:)
Have a wonderful night,
Nay

4 comments:

Kiki said...

i already love your blog. it makes me happy. <3

Nay said...

Oh Kiki-girl! Thank you:) It means a lot coming from you...miss you TONS!!!

Blessed Rain said...

Kick the voice to the curb and pull it AFTER your done writing! Come on by my book blog - Trying to get published and write a mini story using today's word - Super or get a jump start on tomorrows word - Murder - in honor of my interview of the recently published Kori Donahue.

Kimmel Tippets said...

I would love that spray! Self doubt is a constant road block to getting anything accomplished. You can do it, this blog is a step in the right direction!