Monday, June 20, 2011

Book Review: Into the Deep


Synopsis
(from back cover)
*****
In an instant, everything was swept away.

On August 30, 2003, Robert Rogers, his wife, Melissa, and their four children were driving home from a wedding when they were caught in a flash flood. As Robert was swept away by the strong current, he could only hope his family would survive.

Into the Deep is the true story of what happened to the Rogers family on that fateful night in August and how, through it all, God’s amazing grace sustained a father left to grieve the family he loved.

Robert’s moving story will challenge you to live a life of “no regrets,” to cherish your loved ones, and to live life to the fullest.

Review
*****
First of all, it must be said...I have never read a book like this before.  Ever.  I believe in God and everything that He provides and blesses me with, but I have never been one to read Christian literature before.  I have never been drawn to it and have always felt that if I wanted to read about God, I would pick up the Bible.

So with that being said...

I truly enjoyed this book, with each and every tear I shed.  Robert's story of survival from the most devastating life event possible to me was heart-wrenching.  Every word that was written, I felt.  I would sit there and read...and tears would flow.  But, I didn't only cry.  I laughed, smiled...there was a lot of emotion in this book.

Ultimately, the theme of this book (which I never thought I would get out of this story) is "no regrets".  I liked that a lot.  Don't regret what you never had, what you wish you had, what you think you had.  Just make life worthwhile and in the present.

I recommend this book to anyone, really.  If you don't believe in a higher power, I can understand if you don't want to "go there," but this memoir is well-written and graceful.  That is what makes it so good.

~ Nay ~

Thanks to my Texas girl who shared this signed copy with me.