Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food Memories

Hi there!
I'm hungry again...and you know what that means?  Recipe time : )
I used to eat this as a child at my maternal grandmother's house.  She rarely cooked, pretty much only Thanksgiving dinner.  But sometimes, she would make this for me.  Probably one of the only good things she did for me (lol! don't ask!).  I've been wanting to eat this for years and I told my sis-in-law the other day that I wish I could still have this.  She said, "She's not the only one in the world who can make this dish!  There has to be a recipe for it!" 
And...there is : ) So here is the closest version of it that I could find (on www.food.com):

Chicken Tortilla Casserole (Pie)

This is what it kinda looked like...
Ingredients:
Servings: 6 
Directions:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
  1. In a bowl, combine chicken, chilies, soups and broth.
  2. In a greased 9 x 13 pan layer half of the tortillas cutting to fit pan.
  3. Top with half of the chicken mixture and half of the cheese.
  4. Repeat layers.
  5. Bake @ 350° uncovered for 30 minutes.
Pretty easy, huh?  My grandmother didn't use onions or broth as I recall..but maybe it'll taste good that way.

Wishing you a "comfort food" type of night,
~ Nay ~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Destiny said we can make this tomorrow!!~wendy~

Nay said...

Yay! Let me know how it goes!!

3e508cd2-8e06-11e0-b50e-000bcdcb471e said...

this is pretty close! you're right in I don't think there were onions or broth in there but it all just makes for more moistness *yum* Happy you found this -- now we HAVE to make it too :)

Nay said...

YES! Now I just have to find the recipe for the jello creamy dessert she used to make!