Thursday, June 30, 2011

Talented Woman: "A Serendipitous Sojourn"

Good Morning,

Last night while travelling the bloggy world, I stumbled upon a most eye-opening blog.  The blogger is a writer, a poet with thought-provoking prose...Tears came down my cheeks after I read her poem, "Because I Didn't Know: A Cautionary Tale"...

The reading below may be a little hard for some to read, but I loved that Antoinette from "A Serendipitous Sojourn" had the courage to write about it, domestic violence...so with that, here you go:

because i didn't know: a cautionary tale

because i didn't know
how to deal
with these feelings
deep inside,
rather than
internalize them
any further,
i lashed out at you.
because the man i am
wouldn't let me understand
that i have the right
to choose,
i didn't
and your left cheek
now bears a bruise.
because i'm too invested
in this hatred i feel
from my owner,
i mean my boss,
i am determined
to make you
pay for it daily,
regardless of the cost.
because i refused to admit
that i'm afraid to quit,
that i can't take
anymore of this shit,
and i don't know
what's left for me to do,
standing in a pool of blood,
i'm looking down at you.
for every time
you said you loved me,
and i refused to believe it...
for every time
you encouraged me,
when i didn't think i needed it...
through every storm,
that ever came
overshadowed by heavy clouds,
pounded by my fists like rain,
you remained the same,
and now,
because i didn't
...know...
...understand...
...give a damn...
...rejected...
...refused...
from confused
to dazed
to crazed...
bruised
bludgeoned
bleeding
neck-broke
i stand here alone
the butt of a bad joke
not wanting
to leave
your presence
surrounded
by your essence
and as the pendulum swings
from peace
to pandemonium
i find the words
that i never knew
were within me
and to your lifeless frame whisper,
"baby, i'm sorry."
(Copyright Antoinette Dickson. Creative Commons License Allowed with permission.)

And, as Antoinette says towards the end of her post:
If you or a loved one is experiencing domestic violence of any kind or you just want to talk to someone, please call the National DV Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224(TTY). You can also log onto their website www.ncadv.org - National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Thank you, Antoinette, for letting me share your talent and message on my blog.

With love and light,
~ Nay ~

3 comments:

SerenSojo71 (Antoinette Dickson) said...

Nay, once again, thank you. I am honored and humbled that you requested to share this piece. By the way, I am a new follower to your blog, and am really looking forward to reading your work. I wish you continued blessings and peace.

Nay said...

so happy to have you!

SerenSojo71 (Antoinette Dickson) said...

Hi Nay! It's been almost a year & I'm still enjoying your blog:-) I subscribed via email to make sure I don't miss any of your posts. I also follow you on Facebook. Today is my second bloggerversary (lol) & I'm tickled, just like a two year old. I hope that you're having a wonderful day!