Friday, March 16, 2012

Swappin' Posts w/ My Fave Cailín, Lacey {Little Miss Nerd Girl}


Hi My Lovelies,
Today I'm swapping posts with Lacey (Little Miss Nerd Girl).  She's over here this morning sharing a little St. Patrick's Day goodness while I'm at her place doing the same.
Enjoy!

Take it away, Ms. Lacey!
xoxo's to you all!
~Nay~

*******
Hello Cover to Cover and Everything in Between readers!
My name is Lacey and I am the blogger behind Little Miss Nerd Girl.
When Nay and I agreed to guest post for each other in March I was super excited for two reasons:
one, I love Nay's blog and her love of books and writing;
and two, I could write about my crazy Irish family since St. Paddy's Day was coming up!

So, first things first, a little background:
We started calling St. Patrick's Day "St. Paddy's Day" after my brother, Padraic Murphy (Paddy for short), was born. I'm not going to divulge my maiden name, but just know with the addition of our last name there is no doubt that he's of Irish heritage toting a name like his. Growing up we spent a lot of time with my dad's family. His dad, my grandfather, is the son of Irish immigrants, so St. Paddy's Day has always been a big deal for our family. The holiday was as big as, if not bigger than, Easter for us. We'd always gather for huge dinners of corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, bread and dessert. The food is not what I remember about the gatherings though, in fact, I don't like corned beef at all. What I remember from our St. Paddy's Day dinners is my grandpa. He'd always have a little something to drink and by the time dessert rolled around he'd be standing at the end of the table singing old Irish songs. My grandmother would be seated next to him, staring up at him adoringly. He still (sometimes) does this today, though my grandmother is no longer here to sit beside him and I am no longer in California to take part in the St. Paddy's day dinners.
My grandpa, backstage before one of his musicals.
Growing up in my big, Irish, family was a lot of fun and I have a sense of Irish pride from it. I'm sure a lot of people assume I'm Irish from my red hair (even though I get that from the Scot in me) and if you didn't assume it, I will tell you. Ha ha. One of my dreams is to go to Ireland and see the places my great grandparents lived and I hope to make it a family trip so all my kids can see where their roots started too.

That's about half the grand kids (the other half was not born yet). From left to right: my sister, Chelsea, me holding my cousin, my sister Kristin holding our cousin, and my brother, Paddy holding another cousin. 

In honor of St. Paddy's Day I wanted to share a quick Irish recipe with you. It's called Boxty, which is an Irish potato pancake. There is a little poem that goes along with it,
"Boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan, if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man."
So, if you're looking for a man, you might want to get to making this ASAP. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture for the recipe because I have not made it since I started blogging and obsessively photographing my food. :)
Boxty
*Ingredients*
1 ½ cups grated raw potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup mashed potatoes (leftovers are great!)
1 egg
1 tablespoon of milk
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying
*Directions*
1. Mix the grated potatoes with the flour in a large bowl. Stir in mashed potatoes and combine.
2 . In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and milk.
3. Add milk and egg mixture to potato mixture and combine.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
6. Drop in the boxty mixture, forming patties about 2-inches in diameter.
7. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
8. Pat with a paper towel to remove some of the oil.
9. Serve warm and enjoy!
That's it.

Let me know if you try out your hand at Boxty
and I hope you have a fun (and safe)
St. Patrick's Day!

♥,
 Lacey

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Yay! Thanks for letting me swap with you, it was fun! Now I am off to make some soda bread to have with our boxty for breakfast tomorrow. ;) Have a wonderful weekend!