Thursday, May 31, 2012

not friends

You've seen this before, right?

I want to put this in both of my kids' rooms.
They need to...
understand it.
feel it.
know it.
They need to know that their Mommy and Daddy aren't always going to say Yes.
We will say
No.
We will get mad.
We will yell.
We will tell them what to do.
We'll protect them
even when they don't think they need protecting.
We will definitely track them...every single move.

When my hubby and I got pregnant -
We made the decision to be parents that care.
We didn't decide that we'd be nice or mean...
We made a commitment that we would be parents to our children, not their friends.
We defined our roles simply.
And it works...for us.

Yes, I want my kids to be able to come to me about anything.
Yes, of course, I want their love for me to always be unconditional.
But that does not mean that I'm going to let them have the run of our lives.

We are the adults.
They have to learn from us.
We are their example.

No one ever said parenting was easy.
I'd rather my kids say that I made their lives hell than hearing them say that I didn't care.

Because every single ounce of me
loves
cherishes
cares
for those two little humans that God blessed me with.

And I'll be the parent that He wants me to be for them
And I'll be that parent,
on purpose.

Bettter yet...
with purpose.

null

Elf House Chronicles

5 comments:

Kristen Seuberling said...

My parents decided to be parents, not friends as well. It's certainly not nearly as fun, but I feel like I am a better person for having been raised in that way. My mom worked at my high school, and she points out that it was always really easy to see who had parents that cared, and who had parents that wanted to be their best friend, just in the way they interacted with th staff at school.

Now that I'm older, I agree with her. As hard as it is to be an actual parent, I think the benefits outweigh the downfalls.

rororoyourboat710 said...

i'm so glad you posted this. sometimes people get at me for yelling at my kids. seriously? stay out of my business.

love you. you're an awesome mom. you have awesome kids. it's so awesome. :)

Kristina said...

love this!! Such a good reminder! This is how we parent, although it's certainly not always easy! Thanks for posting this! xoxo

I Know The Plans I Have For You said...

I love that sign and I love your post! I'm pretty sure that my kids don't think I'm their friend...although I love them more than life, and they DO know that. So that is good with me! I would rather them cry, than me...so as long as they know that we are the parents, than we are doing the best we can :) I came by from Speak Now and I am SO looking forward the the link up! It's nice to meet you!

beth said...

oh Nay... as a mother on the other side of parenting (they are all out of the house-at least till my college boy gets home in 2 weeks-ha), I have to tell you how much I love your post! My kids will tell me now that they didn't always like it- but that they are glad we were as strict as we were- they appreciate having had clearly defined boundaries and knowing that as they were making choices- the consequences were known-and it helped them to say no to some awfully tempting (naughty) things! Rock on fellow Momma and stay strong! Your intentions are admirable~ xo