Friday, June 1, 2012

Wouldn't have rolled my eyes at that!


I have my coffee cup in front of me.
I've been waiting for you so that I can not only pour you some coffee, but pour a little bit of my heart and thoughts out at you.
So here goes...
I have written and rewritten this post.
I have thought of everything I would want to hear read if I came by this blog today.
As I wrote this post the first and second and third time - it wasn't coming out right.
I was being Miss I've-Been-There and Miss Listen-to-me-because-I know-everything...but that just wasn't right.
Back in the day...
If I had to sit down and listen to some old lady tell me what I should or shouldn't do, I would've rolled my eyes and pretended to listen.
You know what I would have wanted to hear?
Nothing.
I would have wanted them to
Prove It.
Prove to me that "this too shall pass".
Tell me that I went through crap from the time I was 5 until I was 13 for a reason.
Tell me that God allowed things to happen to make me a stronger person.
Tell me that the people I think are my foundation really aren't.
Tell me that I won't find that base, that foundation, until I get married and have a family of my own.
Tell me not to do whatever guys tell me to...in bed.
Tell me to hold on to that virginity for someone special - someone who actually loves me, not the guy that'll stop talking to me the next day.
Remind me that the words that come out of my mouth are important, but that my true gift is writing.
Make me write everyday - force me.
And when I complain about what I can't do because I'm not good enough - tell me I am good enough.
All. The. Time.
Tell me that God strengthens my every move.
Teach me about His Love early on....because darn it! It would've made things a lot easier.
Actually, don't tell me.
Show me...by your example.
Do it in a way that will teach me to be proud to be female. 
Show me how to be a warrior.
Teach me to stand up for myself.
Lead me to the mirror and make me recite:
I am beautifully made.  I am a gorgeous woman.  I can do anything.
Yes, that's what I would've liked.
I wouldn't have rolled my eyes at that.

What I would want to read here today is this:
Make sure you are encouraged everyday.
Make sure you inspire yourself to do more than you think you can.
Empower yourself and those around you by being an example of a Beloved Person.
Really.
That's all it takes.
It took me a long time to figure it out. 

Don't roll your eyes at me.
:)

xoxo – Your Nay



The Ellie Life
 

3 comments:

Kristen Seuberling said...

Oh Nay, it is so true. Girls need good examples showing them that it's all going to get better, and that they just need to trust and rise above. Love this! Oh yeah, and I think you're pretty spectacular as well...

Jackie Burris said...

Words to live by and yes "showing" beats "telling" any day of the week because we all want to do the right thing, just sometimes not sure what that is.
Nay thank you, where were you when I was growing up?

Katy said...

I'm not an old lady (yet) but...
You're good enough.
You're more than enough
You're awesome.
I'm grateful to know you.