Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This is How SHE Does It: I'm a Working Momma

Welcome back to this week's series
I hope you are enjoying it.  You can see yesterday's post here.

Today I'm happy to have Summer here to share her experience on being a Working Mom.
She always seems to have everything put together in just the right way.
I had the pleasure of meeting her at the bloggy conference she arranged back in June.
She is as warm and inviting in person as she is on her blog.

So without further ado:
 
I'm a Working Momma
xoxo
~ Nay ~
♥♥♥♥
My name is Summer and I am the all over the place mama behind Made By Munchie's Mama. I work, I wife, I mama and occasionally I am just Summer. I have 2 little boys: Munchie who is almost 3 aka Gavin and Dylie Bear who is 1 years old aka Dylan.  


My hubby and I are just like every other couple: struggling to find the work, parent, spouse balance and taking things one day at a time.  On my blog you will find me writing about fights I have with my hubby, mama guilt, what I wear on Wednesdays, and stuff they don't tell you about parenthood before you get pregnant.  I also throw a good ole' tutorial around every now and then.  Stop by and say holla sometime.







So I am a mom and I work, not sure that qualifies me as an expert at being a working mom, but I am going to tell you a little bit about how I try my best to keep it all together.  I could tell you about my weekly schedule, but we would be here all day.  So, I'll just give you the summary.

I work Tuesday-Friday
Gavin has speech and occupational therapy 3 times a week
I teach the 12-13 year old young women at church on Sundays and
 we have an activity on Wednesday nights
I blog...obviously
I have an online shop
I choreograph for Professional dance teams
I am in a bunco group
I sell at boutiques on the weekends
And on top of all that...I'm try to be a mom and a wife

It can be very overwhelming!  Scheduling is extremely important in our family.  My husband travels for work and is in a softball league so we have to communicate so we both know who needs to be where when.  We have tried many ways to keep this all straight and have found that the best way is to have a printed calendar on the fridge.  This is command central.  If it ain't on the calendar, chances are it ain't happening.  Then I make my personal calendar off of the main family calendar.

I wrote a post recently about how it's hard to be a working mom especially during the Summertime when I see stay at home moms planning all sorts of fun activities for their families.  I miss out on a lot of that so I made the commitment to use any downtime, no matter how short it may be, to do something special as a family.  We make Popsicles, go to the pool, go to fireworks at Disneyland, take a walk, play with bubbles, and watch movies.  You don't have to plan extravagant day long trips to make special memories with your family.

It's important to realize that there are things that can wait.  The laundry will still be there tomorrow and those toys will be taken out again in the morning so spend your free time doing the important things.  At the same time, you may have to give up an hour of reality TV watching to make sure the dishes don't get all crusty and gross from sitting in the sink for a week.  It's all about balance and my weakness is procrastination.  It tend to put things off, but I am working on it.

The last thing that I have really been conscious of is comparing myself to other moms, especially ones that stay home.  I have an amazing sis in law who works from home 2 days a week and celebrates every holiday on the calendar.  Talk like a pirate day, Chinese new year, our deceased grandparents birthdays...you name it, she has a full on celebration.  It's really awesome and it's hard to not be jealous of the time she has to make these memories with her family.  Sometimes I feel like my kids are missing out on things because I have to work, but I am trying to work on doing what I can.  I can't do it all and that is hard to accept.


That's just a few things that help me keep my family together.  If you want to read some more posts on parenting stop my blog and take a look around.  I enjoy sharing the ups and downs and disasters about parenting with the world.  Hopefully it makes you feel a little less crazy.

Thanks so much Nay for having me on the blog this week!  I just love your sweet spirit and you are a joy to know!
Photobucket


4 comments:

Heidi said...

Nay, I love this series! Thanks for putting it together :)

Reannah @ {Shaped by Grace} said...

Aw, I love Summer! (And you too Nay!) Thank for doing this series! :)

Reannah @ {Shaped by Grace} said...

Aw, I love Summer! (And you too Nay!) Thank for doing this series! :)

AbsoluteMommy said...

Great Job Summer! I admire you and the job you do as a working mom. Let me tell you that when I work, I'm a hot mess! You rock lady!
And thanks Nay for this series! It's awesome!