Thursday, July 19, 2012

This is How SHE Does It: Living it Healthy

It's Day 4 of this week's series
and joining us today is the wonderful Kristen, one of my blog besties!
Who do I ask when I have health questions? How about motivation? Or maybe a little pep talk on self-image?
Always, always, ALWAYS Kristen.
She's my go-to person for pretty much everything and I love her for it.
And her heart?  Oh, it goes for miles with the love she gives me and this here blog.
Okay, okay...I know you want to hear me ramble...so her she is!

Living it Healthy
xoxo
~ Nay ~
♥♥♥♥

Well hello!  For those of you I haven't had the chance to meet yet, I'm Kristen, and I blog over at TRL
where I love to talk about my life, food, and how to live an overall healthier, happier life.
 

When Nay asked me to crash her blog for a day and tell you "How I do it" in regards to health and wellness, my head started reeling with possibility.  I could tell you about how to plan your workouts.  How to make healthy cooking easier.  I could tell you about how you should be exercising when Flo is in town.  There were so many ideas in that noggin of mine.  So I decided to go stalk read through a few blogs I knew talked about their struggles with health, fitness, diet, etc and see what they were talking about.  It turns out, what so many people are struggling with right now is motivation.  And a light bulb turned on inside of my head, because I have a plan for this!  And if it works for me, it can work for you, too.  I, as it happens, am the queen of making excuses.

So here's how I do it...

I break "motivation" down into 3 different categories.  The first is motivation.  Next is drive, and last is fuel.  Don't worry, I'm going to explain.  I won't leave you hanging.

1)  Motivation:  For me, this is the long-term, nebulous goal that I am working towards.  My personal goal is this: I want to be as fit and healthy as possible, so that when the time comes to have children, I can be healthy and active for them.  As you can see, this goal meets none of the "SMART" criteria you're always hearing about.  It's more of an ideal.  But it's authentic for me, and that's what I'm really after.  A description of where I really want to be, at a future date more than a year from now.

2)  Drive:  Having a long term goal is great, but these goals are usually too big to keep you motivated.  It's easy to get off track, to make your big goal smaller, or to tell yourself it just isn't meant to be.  Your drive is a series of short term goals that drive you towards your long term goal.  Since my goal is to be as fit, healthy, and active as possible, I set short term goals that meet that objective.  For example, I have run a couple of 5k races so far, completed a 34 mile organized bike ride, and am in the process of completing a 90 day fitness challenge with a Team Beachbody coach.  All of these events give me start and end dates to work from, and that keeps me focused on progress.  But these goals can only drive you so far, unless you have the proper fuel for the engine.

3)  Fuel:  We aren't talking about food here, although these tips are easily applied to dietary habits as they are exercise.  What we are talking about are the attitudes and habits that you adopt that help you to ensure you meet your short-term goals.  This is the most personal part of motivation, because we have different personalities.  But for me, the only thing that gets me working out regularly is commitment.  I make a series of commitments to myself, as well as to others, to complete the goals that I set.  I allow myself to be held accountable to that, and I am reminded that my word is only good if I consistently live up to it, even if the only person I made a commitment to is myself.  For you, maybe it isn't commitment.  Maybe what is going to fuel your workout is developing a strict routine each day that builds in your goal.  Maybe it is a competitive drive to constantly better yourself.  This is really the hardest part.  So I would suggest that if you aren't sure what is going to get you off of the couch and moving in the direction of your goals, you pick commitment and accountability to a friend or loved one.  If you want to lose weight, but have a hard time with food, plan out all of your food in advance and have it prepped.  Then TELL your friend what you are going to eat over the course of the day/week/whatever, and when you are going to eat it.  At the end of the day/week, tell them if you did what you said you were going to do.  How do you think you would do if you knew that people were going to check in with you about your results?

So there you lovely ladies have it.  My well-tested, highly effective map to consistent motivation.  I would love to hear from you if you choose to try any of these tips, you can always visit my blog to learn more about my journey, or you can send me an email, and I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.  Thank you so much for reading on past the words "guest post" in the title today, and I can't wait to hear from you.  Many thanks to Nay for letting me hijack her bloggy!
ps:  Check out the last installments of this series with
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's posts.

5 comments:

Herbal Tea said...

Good information here. Thanks for sharing. I have used a couple of soy protein powders and quite liked them.


Emedial Massage Deals

Allie Todd said...

Getting motivated can sometimes be the HARDEST thing ever.

(Especially when you're first getting started)

Luckily, my fiance will yell at me if I say "... No, I don't really feel like going to the gym." Otherwise I'd be screwed.

But setting more short term goals is definitely good advice!! Thanks for sharing :)

Kristina Robinson said...

Kristen, you are so full of wisdom. I just love it. =) I think my favorite part of this entire post was when you wrote/talked about what your motivation is and why it's authentic to you. I think that if I had to pick ONE word to describe you...I might strongly lead toward choosing "authentic." Obviously, my first choice would be "radiant." =) But "authentic" just fits you perfectly. =)

Thanks for all of the advice organized into a very well written post. :)

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

well, i already know this kristen girl, and i already know that she's pretty special to have around, especially if you want a great email thread.

and i know how she feels about all this excercise stuff, which i'm a big proponent of, dont' get me wrong. it's just that right now, in this moment, all i can think about is mountain dew.

Sarah Evans said...

I have exactly the same non-smart, non-specific fitness goals too.

I'd love it if you'd link up this inspirational post to my Monday Mantras Inspirational Linkup on Monday :)

Sarah
http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk